Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: End of Darkroom

From: Harold Olejarz (hoart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jun 19 2004 - 18:27:19 PDT

I started teaching digital imaging 5 years ago when the guy I was
teaching with retired. He taught wet photography, chemicals and
darkroom to 8th graders for many years. When he left I offered to teach
a digital photo class because my interest is in digital and I didn't
want to deal with the chemicals.

For the last three years I have been teaching digital imaging at a
different school. This school does not have a darkroom and if not for
digital there would be no way the students could do photography.

I think there will always be a place for wet photography but digital
photography is art photography too. Lets not forget that when
photography first started painting was art and most people did not
consider photography art. Also, photography did not bring about an end
to painting just as digital will not bring about an end to wet

My reason for posting the article was to point out the impact digital
is having in the world outside of school.

personal web site -
school web site -

Please send personal e-mail to