Excellence - Elementary and Middle School - some basic rubrics

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 18 2004 - 10:58:00 PDT

Greetings ArtsEdNetters,

Here is my addition to Excellence for Middle School
(adaptable to elementary)

Here is a basic Rubric that I used. I revised it from
one by Marvin Bartel(with his permission):
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Bartelrubric.htm
This way, I did not have to write one detailed rubric
out for each lesson anymore. I used detailed rubrics
for lessons I had written one for already.
Rubrics were given to student before the hands-on work
began. Students evaluated their own work/progress
before I did. 90% of the time, we agreed. When we
didn't - I conferenced with the student. I only had
one student that made a mockery of this system, and he
was removed from the room until we all finished.

Here is one I revised from Woody that I gave out at
the beginning of the trimester:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/rubric2.htm
This really helped my middle school students - and
helped them accept average grades when the work was
indeed just average. They referred to this when they
graded their work.

There are more rubric links on this page:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/yearplan.htm
Someday, I will organize it better.....

Here is one I used for 8th grade only:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/rubric.htm
The criteria was the lesson objectives. Again, this
saved time as I didn't have to write a detailed rubric
for each lesson. Students graded themselves
first (the S column - T was my column). I tried not to
pigeon hole the objectives - but to make them more
"big ideas". I was always happiest with
lessons the first time I did them with students -
probably because I didn't have such preconceived
expectations? I suppose that is why I did the lessons
differently each year (when I did repeat them).

Hope these help you define "excellence in art".

Judy Decker

=====
Judy Decker
jdecker4art@yahoo.com