Re: 8th grade art fundamentals for HS

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 17 2004 - 12:14:04 PDT

I find that this is a huge problem for us--We have 3 fundamentals
courses, essentially for freshmen but occasionally we get others. Our
plan is to hammer elements and principles with the freshmen, and then
proceed with the other courses. What happens in our school is that the
freshmen have 3 electives, the soph. and jr.s only 2 and then the
seniors have only 2 required courses if they are not flunkees or super
serious college bounds who can't get enough Honors Physics etc. We end
up with many seniors who want to take art classes all day, and who do
not have very good background and don't want to sit in classes with all
freshmen and do basic stuff. We always let them in higher classes, but
I find that a lot of supplies are just wasted and they are frustrated
because it's hard and they don't know how to do things. Of course, at
the same time we are always trying to keep our numbers up and provide a
sort of safe haven for kids with little talent who choose us and are
equally incompetent in other areas. Sid

>>> Bicyclken@aol.com 06/17/2004 7:11:23 AM >>>
What happens to the student who finds out that they like art, and are
not in
the Art 1Studio class. Can they take the next level Studio class?, or
are the
courses so different that this is not an easy transition?

Ken Schwab

Art teacher
Leigh High School
San Jose CA