RE: art survey, please respond

---------

From: Hillmer, Jan (HillmJan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 17 2004 - 11:47:08 PDT

To: ArtsEdNet Talk
Subject: Re: art survey, please respond

1. Techniques/activities that spark creativity: When the classroom is
a safe place for the student, Creativity is enabled. No ridicule, all
ideas have validity. Often new materials or projects that teach a
student- admired skill with ease will become a project that expands
creativiely. If one student is permitted to drift from the assignment
because they have a specific idea they want to work on, I usually allow
that, but discuss my decision with the other students.
2. Techniques/practices to help increase student thinking skills: Ask
students to use the skill/technique just covered in class, but in a new
way.

3. Teaching techniques to reach a variety of learners; After
explaining the assinmnet verbally, I have the students write important
info and project info in their sketchbooks for reference - we use them
on a daily basis. I also demonstrate the technique on the same day as
the students can begin the technique. As the students begin practicing
the technique I'll identify 'table teachers' who can help others at each
table. As the assignment progresses, students who are having successes
in particular areas are identified, and if necessary, I stop the class
so that they can 'take a tour' (see the other students' work).

4. The physical organization of my classroom is to encourage
independent learners and reduce socialization. Each table has 4 - 5
students, usually half boys and half girls. If there are problems with
the grouping, I regroup the tables . I am working towards having the
supplies grouped sensibly and giving the students responsible access to
them.
5. Is your classroom more student-centered or teacher-centered? When
the assignment and a technique are presented it is more teacher
centered. As the children begin the project, the classroom becomes
student-centered..

6. Rating the national visual arts standards:
     1. Understand and apply visual arts media, techniques, and
processes. 1
     2. Use knowledge of visual arts structures and functions. 2
     3. Choose and evaluate a range of subject matter, symbols, and
ideas. 5
     4. Understand the visual arts in relation to history and culture.
3
     5. Reflect upon and assess the characteristics and merit of their
work, and the work of others. 4
     6. make connections between visual arts and other disciplines 6

Please share your final info with us!

Jan
leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu

---