What Does Excellence Look Like in an Art Class?

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 17 2004 - 09:06:29 PDT

Dear ArtsEdNetters,

A good topic has come up on TAB choice list. I would
be interested in your input on this one.

From Iris:

"Does anyone have any opinions or thoughts on making
expectations explicit? Actually I'm trying to
brainstorm what the expectations for each center needs
to be. I have to be very clear about it next year
because some of my students' lack of direction"

We touched upon this problem last year when we talked
about "work ethic" and of course on discussions on
Rubrics. This is also one of the objections to "choice
based art ed" - teachers fear a loss of quality work.

WHAT DOES EXCELLENCE LOOK LIKE IN ART CLASS?

I will compile all responses and share with all lists
- I would like to put a page on IAD on this topic (so
only post if I can use your words of wisdom on the
page).

Patty Knott gave an excellent response as did Kathy
Douglas (I will ask permission to share their

Teachers wanting to provide more "choice" will be
interested in this thread. Research does show that
students are more motivated to learn when they have
choices.

Judy Decker

=====
Judy Decker