8th grade art fundamentals for HS

---------

From: Elizabeth Heisey (eheisey_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 16 2004 - 18:23:57 PDT

The teachers in my system feel that the secondary school needs an art
fundamentals course. Since we are a small school (100/class), it is
difficult to schedule art at all, let alone a prerequisite such as this
would be. So we have relegated it to 7th or 8th grade. What does anyone
else do to help keep 8th graders in the art loop? They seem to have no
confidence to sign up for drawing or painting as, say, a soph when they
have not had art for, say, 2-3 years.
Beth

---