book reads in no particular order

---------

From: lia (johns392_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 15 2004 - 07:10:15 PDT

I recently also recently read The Arts and the Creation of the Mind by
Eisner. He does a beautiful job of summing up what art education can do in
this book. I read it to rekindle my professional voice....for an interview
I was going to have. I just loved it. He synthesizes things so well.

If you haven't read Parker Palmers book The Courage to Teach it is
amazing. I really think this book can be best appreciated by people who
have taught.... It will make you feel great about what we do.

Tearing the Silence by Ursula Hegi, another non-fiction book. This one
will be of special interest if you happen to be of recent German
descent. It tells the stories of the Germans in the War who came to
America and of the generation of children they had. That is...post war
children of German-Americans. These are stories one doesn't hear about.

Maus 1 and Maus 2 by Art Spiegelman are graphic novels....totally amazing
and engrossing which tell the Jewish version of the war and immigration and
ensuing relationships with parents. Don't let the graphic novel part throw
you......they are wonderfully done. Find them in History...not Graphic
Novels.

If somehow you haven't read The Giver by Lois Lowery....that is another
kids book that is of adult interest. It is a quick read and totally
mesmerizing. Fiction.

Oh...and there is a new childrens (young readers) book about the Hmoung
and their struggles from Vietnam to American. It is called Little Cricket
by Jackie Brown....who I happen to know. She works at the book store
with me. This book is important as it tells this story for that 9-15 age
group of kids. Enlightening for all of us not completely familiar with
that culture.

If you want total escape fiction read the Outlander series by Diana
Gabaldon. Good historic fiction dealing with a woman who goes back in
time...and falls in love with a Scottish man. There are 5 I think in this
series...the first is called just The Outlander. A very fun read.

Octavia Butler also writes about time travel....fiction but with serious
content. Her book Kindred is about an African American women who
accidently travels into pre-civil war America where she finds herself a
slave. You will find her in Science Fiction. She writes fiction which
makes you think.

If you have ageing parents or if you are aging (and who isn't)....Mary
Pipher's book Another Country is non-fiction and deals with that. I really
loved this book for dealing with parent issues.

Twyla Tharp's book the Creative Habit will offer new insights into creative
behavior. Also non-fiction. She is a dancer and choreographer.

I just picked up the book titled: The Nine Modern Day Muses (and a
bodyguard) by Jill Badonsky. It deals with creative inspiration. Haven't
read it yet...but it looks interesting.

Howard Gardner also has a new book out that I am interested in
reading. It is called Changing Minds. The art and science of changing
our own and other people's minds.
This one is in business and looks interesting.

Anna Qunidlen has a new book of essays out. She is an amazing
writer....and I just loved these. I listened to her read
them. Called: Loud and Clear
Great for those moments where you want to read short bits.

I guess I should quit. I am feeling nostalgic ....after 7 years of
working at a bookstore part time I am leaving....and I will really miss the
book culture. ...lia