Oaxaca Curriculum Materials from Crizmac

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 08 2004 - 13:10:33 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

This is my last review for now.... I would like to
invite others to post reviews of videos they view.

Oaxaca: Valley of Myth and Magic video (part 1) gives
a nice overview of the culture (mainly the Zapotec) -
mixing Pre-Columbian traditions with
European....Showing architecture, ceramics, weaving
and woodcarving. It takes a look at daily life of the
people - and touches upon Days of the Dead. This would
be a great resource for a middle school folk art
curriculum. It includes a short "how to" video (15
minutes) for tapestry weaving which is very good for
anyone who has not done much weaving. Included are
handout materials for the students along with a
detailed guide for the teacher. Your whole nine or
twelve week curriculum could be designed around this
video (adding the supplementary videos for each
individual unit). Along with the tapestry weaving, you
would do a unit on paper mache sculpture (lesson
included) and a ceramic figure (lesson plan included).
You could add a lesson in foil tooling (touched upon
briefly in the video) or amate painting to complete
the course (See Gente Del Sol video).

Oaxaca: Valley of Myth and Magic:
http://www.crizmac.com/online_catalog/store.cfm?step=display&productid=929

or available as a kit:
http://www.crizmac.com/online_catalog/store.cfm?step=display&productid=930
Including:
  - Oaxaca, Valley of Myth and Magic curriculum
    resource
  - Oaxacan Print Series
  - Oaxaca Woodcarving: The Magic in the Trees book
  - Josefina book
  - A carving of a cat by Zeny Fuentes (or a rabbit
    or a turtle)

Oaxacan Woodcarving: The Magic in the Trees by Shepard
Barbash is a great book (sold on page 27). You might
also consider the book Oaxaca, the Spirit
of Mexico by Judith Cooper Haden (page 27).

Add Gente del Sol to complete the course in arts of
Mexico (features folk art of Mexico and Guatemala -
including Mexican Bark Painting).
http://www.crizmac.com/online_catalog/store.cfm?step=display&productid=863
This are designed for grade 3 through 8. Gente del Sol
is on page 34 in the catalog. Oaxaca Valley of Myth
and Magic is on page 24 - designed for grades
4 through 12. I have not seen Gente del Sol - but I am
sure it is of high quality, too.

Complete your Art of Mexico curriculum with the video
Oaxacan Woodcarving: Innovation Meets Tradition -
featuring Zeny Fuentes (page 27). My students really
enjoyed this video - it is 15 minutes long. Zeny's
woodcarvings are very affordable, too - sold on page
25 and 26.

Crizmac http://www.crizmac.com Phone 1-800-913-8555
for a free catalog.

Judy Decker