Excellent Mexican Ceramic Folk Art Video

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 08 2004 - 07:38:00 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

Those of you planning Folk Art lessons/Crafts Classes
will want to consider the video "Fantastic Figures:
Oaxacan Ceramic Folk Art" featuring the work
of Josefina Aguilar. This is a thirty minute video by
Crizmac. A teacher's guide with suggested activities
is included. This video shows how important it is to
work as a family. The family digs for clay together
and many of the children help with the painting of the
figures. The video takes you through the entire
process - from digging the clay to the steps Josefina
takes to make her figures. We also get a glimpse of
the work of one of her sons.

Your students would really enjoy making figures "in
the style of" Josefina. You could do any number of
themes - from selecting a favorite artist - to
heroes - to figures representing our culture/daily
activities. The basic figure is formed with the draped
slab method. Females are cone shaped while
a male could be more of a cylinder with an impression
made for the legs. The top of the form is smoothed
over for the shoulders. Holes are cut for the
head and arms to keep the form hollow and avoid air
pockets. For a storyteller - figures are added all
around the skirt. This would be a great unit for
Hispanic Heritage Month (September 15 through October
15). Josefina's Days of the Dead figures are also
popular (a short segment of her working is in
"Flickering Lights: Days of the Dead" (also a Crizmac
video). Those of you purchasing this video may also
want to buy a figure by Josefina - selling for only
$32.95 from Crizmac. The book - Oaxacan
Ceramics: Traditional Folk Art by Oaxacan Woman would
be a great addition to your library. See that back
page of your Crizmac catalog for more details
(http://www.crizmac.com 1-800-913-8555)

This link should take to directly to the video #3100
-$39.95 (also available in DVD for 49.95):
http://www.crizmac.com/online_catalog/store.cfm?step=display&productid=1476

Lesson plan to come using this video - For now, it is
linked on my Mexico page:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/mexico.htm
My seventh graders really enjoyed making figures
inspired by art of Mexico. I wish I had this video
when I was teaching. Here is my lesson that can be
adapted:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Lessons/7pre-colum.htm

Enjoy!

Judy Decker