Re: still life - another question

---------

From: houstonia nerd (houstonianerd_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 06 2004 - 20:51:06 PDT

Hello ArtsEdNetters!

I just finished school and comprehensive exams and
finally have a little downtime to check back with the
chatting...

I am always wondering about the best way to do
backgrounds. My students use viewfinders to do the
drawing, but they don't all "crop in" the same way I
do in my work...I like having some of them repeat
something interesting (like a shape or pattern that
began to emerge in the still life.) However that means
I have to find and explain 20 individual approaches.

One of the other teachers routinely responds that the
background should be a complementary color and another
usually has them put in a decorative motif.

Any advice?

Do you always set the background up? I use a white
backdrop so its easier to find the negative shapes.
introductory lessons is a still life made from plaster
castings of different bottles - juice, soap, bleach,
etc. along with boxes and other sphere and cone
shapes. I got the idea from an artist who actually
uses this kind of stuff in installations. I think she
has some twisted up balloon kind of shapes, too. Huge
piles of them.

Thanks for any advice you have to share - Dawn