I can feel your pain about telling your kids about the meltdown. I have
a funny story about a near meltdown. I was at Penland about 15 years
ago, probably. It was some big anniversary and they were having an
auction during our session. Every class had to make something to be
auctioned off for this birthday benefit. Our clay class decided to make
a huge majolica birthday cake, covered with flowers and clay candles.
We had a blast and made a fantastic cake. Well, with some big clay
artist running the kiln for this big important event, SOMEHOW the gas
kiln overfired. Can't remember why now, but it did. When we opened the
kiln to see our beautiful cake the morning of the auction, we were
horrified, but then we all started laughing so hard I thought we would
all keel over. This cake did not melt, but it sagged like crazy and
bloated these big ugly bubbles all over it like a bullfrog. The roses
were still recognizeable, and the fact that it was a cake was still
recognizeable, but it was the ugliest thing you EVER saw. Bottom line,
everyone at the auction got a huge laugh out of our cake, and someone
paid a fortune for it. The glaze all over it turned kind of a putrid
limey green. Truly hideous. But it was funny in the end.
Visit our student's web art gallery at St.John's School
click on "Stories of SJS," click on "Arts Stories," click on Linda
Woods' name. View artwork by Lower, and Middle School students as well
as our art archives.