Re: Was response to wedging clay, but evolved to boys' war art fetish

---------

From: Ann Heineman (aiheineman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 06 2004 - 07:29:56 PDT

    Stop to consider that society holds up weaponry as an art form---go to
any art/history museum and you are going to find artifacts of war held up to
be objects of beauty and technical skill. Even a blade from the guillotine
is on display at Madame Toussaud's in London. Ah, yes, I used to call my
papercutter "the guillotine." Which, by the way, was named after Dr.
Guillotine, a French physician, who was instructed to devise a "humane"
method of execution.

            Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus
            Art teacher, K-5, retired

 but it always amazes me
 how many boys really LOVE and revert back to drawing that war stuff when
>they have free time. And they come up with all sorts of clever 3D paper
 stuff that they say is not a weapon, but you could have fooled me!!!

 It is somehow DEEPLY ingrained
in them, isn't it?

> Linda Woods

---