RE: tile mosaic/mural

---------

From: Jancy & Mike Cossin (jmcossin_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 04 2004 - 09:58:45 PDT

We just finished up adhering our tiles. Through a grant I bought bisque tiles. The kids glazed and them broke with hammers. (6th grade). We transferred our outline drawing and placed pieces in strategically. We then covered it with clear contact paper told hold it in place. The mosaic is 6 X 8 feet, cut into four panels. We just left holes for installation. It's a giant tree and the top and bottom border reads "City of Trees", which is the town's name. It's beautiful. The board is 1/2" pretreated plywood as it will be outdoors. The mortar is outdoor mortar. It came in a big bucket and looks like marshmallow fluff. After it is installed this summer it will be grouted with outdoor grout. I thought that would be best (If anyone knows any different shout out as this is my first large mosaic.). It will be installed into the brick wall in our school's courtyard.
Jancy in Ohio

C Gaul <allgaul@comcast.net> wrote:
Beth, thanks for asking this question. I have a similar request but wasn't
ready to tackle even thinking about it. We want to do a tile mural outside
our rear entry doorway and I have similar technical questions: For outdoor
tile murals: what kind of backing would you use, what can I do with the clay
tiles (I don't have a kiln at school and would need to get them fired
locally at a ceramics place or art school or something), how to mount the
tiles once they are done and what to do to preserve the wood or whatever
they will be mounted to?

This is a 'whenever you have a minute or two to answer' question, nothing
burning here.

Cathy