Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

RE: Mural

From: Deb M. (dmortl_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 04 2004 - 04:31:54 PDT

We just completed a 4x8 mural on masonite and installed it yesterday. I cut
the masonite into 16" squares and gesso'd them and each student painted a
square (with oils). Assembled, they create the whole picture. I painted
the thickness of each piece black and them put them up with about 2 inches
of sticky velcro at each corner (each piece was hung about an inch apart to
make more of a mosaic and account for not-exact matches). The velcro works
great since it makes minor adjustments really easy to do.

>We want to do a mural way up over a large indoor entry way. Since I am
>unwilling to put my students (or myself !) on scaffolding, I was
>considering having masonite panels cut to fill the space (may take 4 of
>those large ones I guess?) These then could be painted before they were
>installed. I know they warp, and have in the past gessoed a big X on the
>back to prevent this...Is this how you all would approach a mural to be
>over 10 feet from the ground at its lowest point? Any ideas are
>Thank you so much.

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar get it now!