3-D Photo Shadow Box - FUN end of year project

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 03 2004 - 13:17:38 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

I thought I would share an idea that you could do for
an end of year photo assignment - or graphics arts
(Vivian Komando did a similar project with her
students - Joseph Cornell shadow boxes). It would use
photos the student have already taken over the course
of the semester/year.....Or you could make it a new
assignment for local Architecture in the community -
3D Photo Collage Shadow Box:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/3-Dphoto.jpg
Ignore that the berries in the background are too
vivid/too large/sky too dark - this was a "just do it"
project for me. I may redo that background image
someday....

Mine has a "surreal" quality to it. It uses five
photographs that my son took - one of his senior
pictures (Matt with MG) - and fish I found on the
Internet (those are the four fish that died from the
ammonia spike -- so this is a "shrine" to them, too).
The building is Stocker Hall at Ohio University (where
my son's main courses in ME are held).
Behind the doors is a full image of the building along
with a park scene and my son with his MG (I said this
was surreal -- the MG is in the shop without an engine
and has not run since prom night 2002).

The main building was done with four photographs the
same size (mine are all printed from the computer -
his photos were on CD)- layered - and separated with
mat board for a little relief and with foam core board
for more relief. The images in the foreground
(sculpture-flower and plant) are supported with blocks
of wood. The doors have plastic in them to simulate
glass. The box is collaged inside and out with the
history of Stocker Hall and Ohio University. I put a
full size photo of Stocker Hall on the back of the
box.

I will add this image to the end of year "Fun"
page...and will tag it onto my shadow box lesson plan
- for tying in local architecture.

Judy Decker

=====
Judy Decker