Re: Restoring Hard Clay!!!

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 02 2004 - 20:43:39 PDT

Nnaell@aol.com wrote:

> I say PITCH THE CLAY!!!! Your time is worth more than that!!! Shop
>around...you can get clay for .13 cents a pound!!! I don't know if you teach
>elementary kids...but if you do...time is money!!! Or rather..time = your
>sanity!!! I am used to save every scrap, re-wedge...have tons of old dried clay
>(actually still have a metal trash can full of dried clay...and I spent weeks and
>weeks wetting it, wedging it, storing it....oh my goodness...so not worth my
>time! I do keep that can there and I do continue to work on it.

I'm not sure that pitching the clay is showing true respect for Mother
Earth who gave us of
herself in the place, but there might be other ways to deal with this
problem. I have given
left over and scrap clay to a high school which has a pug mill and
recycles a lot of clay.
Also, the distributor that I buy clay from is willing to take old clay
and then they donate
it to private schools that have little or no budgets. Perhaps if just
throw it in a dumpster,
sending it back to Mother Earth (the land fill), we first should
sprinkle a bit of cornmeal
and say a few words of thanks.
                                                             Woody in KC

---