Re: a serious discussion needed....

---------

From: Jancy & Mike Cossin (jmcossin_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 30 2003 - 05:57:31 PDT

Here in Ohio we're feeling it, but it isn't being entirely eliminated in my district. We took a huge budget cut though. All after school programs will be gone this year. They have cut back in industrial technology and as a result have added more 8th grade art classes, but they have to cut over 8 million next year if the huge levy doesn't pass and then I'm sure they'll start cutting the visual arts and music. One good thing for us is that our standards will be published in November or December of this year and that may help a little. So for this year, more kids..........a lot less money. Next year, who knows.
Jancy

EJackson@tcsdk12.org wrote:
I would like to find out what the general feeling is out there concerning
the heath of Art Education. Here in South Dakota fine arts programs are
under the gun with budget cutbacks. This is in part due to testing mandates
and back to exclusive core subject curriculum. Are other art teachers
feeling this crunch?