Re: a serious discussion needed....

---------

From: Kevan Nitzberg (knitzber_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 30 2003 - 05:31:44 PDT

on 6/30/03 2:00 AM, ArtsEdNet Talk digest at artsednet@lists.pub.getty.edu
wrote:

> Subject: a serious discussion needed....
> From: EJackson@tcsdk12.org
> Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 21:59:24 -0500
>
> I would like to find out what the general feeling is out there concerning
> the heath of Art Education. Here in South Dakota fine arts programs are
> under the gun with budget cutbacks. This is in part due to testing mandates
> and back to exclusive core subject curriculum. Are other art teachers
> feeling this crunch?
In Minnesota the arts are holding on thanks to a faction of the State
Legislature that held onto the notion of the importance of the arts as core
curriculum as a result of listening to groups such as the MN Arts Alliance,
Art Educators of MN, Minnesota Music Educators, dance educators and the Best
Practice Network. We did lose the Profile of Learning as an overall
learning structure that issued in the standards initially, but standards
themselves have remained and the arts along with them.

Having said that, the individual school districts across the state still
have the ability to create their own delivery system for standards which
continues to make the whole concept of what in fact is actually "standard" a
question, but if, in fact, standards-based education continues to help raise
the level of student success and education generally,thereby improving
accountability (which is the thrust of NCLB), then there should be wider
compliance with their implementation. Nationally, arts educators in all
disciplines need to remain vigilant regarding the retention and building of
their programs in regards to continuing to be a part of that effort.

Kevan Nitzberg
AEM President Elect

Kevan

---