new art book, ideas requested

---------

From: MAK ~ MaryAnn Kohl (mak_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 29 2003 - 22:38:31 PDT

Hi, everyone. Feeling creative? Let this email be a stepping off point!

   I'm just beginning a new book of art ideas for elementary aged kids, to
be called Primary Art.
   My idea is to offer 50 very basic art ideas, and then, for each of the 50
basic, offer two more progressively more challenging projects based on the
basic idea - two projects progressively more challenging and interesting
based on the basic.

   I am asking for interested art educators to contribute ideas ... and of
course, as you know, if your ideas are used in the final book, you will not
only receive credit in the book, but you will of course receive a free copy
of the book. Many of you know this routine...it seems to work nicely. The
best part is that your ideas stimulate my imagination to make my books even
more helpful and useful for others.

Example (off the top of my head):
Watercolor
basic project:
               paint with watercolor paints
progressive step 1:
               watercolor paint, and when dry, trace around shapes
               with permanent black marker.
MORE progressive step 2:
               watercolor paint, and when dry, cut the shapes out and glue
them to a
               background scene that is colored with crayon or made with
collage
               materials like cut out shapes of wrapping paper.

I will not ask you to write up ideas in perfect form. I'm just looking for
ideas that are unusual and interesting. I'll be responsible for the actual
organizing of course.

Remember the panty hose sculpture? Ideas like that are great...so, what I
need is not so much all three progression steps, but simply some interesting
or unusual art ideas begin with some basic art idea or art material ---
(note: combining materials is very interesting...like a chalk project that
also involves paint or shoe polish. that type of thinking ---)

such as: ===
chalk ideas, unusual
crayon ideas, unusual
crayon rubbing ideas, unusual
collage ideas, unusual
painting with tempera
tempera ideas, unusual
painting without brushes - some unusual choices
prints, making prints
monoprint
weaving
stitching
dough
clay
carving...soap or plaster, other ideas
sculpture, with wood scraps or other odeas
sculpture with wire
sculpture with cardboard
3-d art is especially interesting

You can reply to me directly, or to our group. Either way, I will compile
all your ideas and share the results back to you (over time in one big
post).

Ready, set....? Begin thinking...send anytime you've got something.
I'm sure you have some favorite ideas that elementary kids love
and are especially interesting.

MaryAnn

=======================
   mak@brightring.com