Re: a question - if you have time

---------

From: The Hammond Family (bhammond_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jun 28 2003 - 14:12:39 PDT

a question - if you have time1. Endless mandatory standardized testing - as a low income, poorly performing school with a large population of ESOL students, we spent 90 out of 180 days last semester in some form of testing! Why do we take our poorest performing students OUT OF CLASS to test more than others?
2. Not enough money - our county can landscape (beautifully, I might add) all major roadways and purchase a $4million recreation center on the edge of town (so that only people with cars and the time to drive quite a way can use it) but they are unwilling to adequately fund the school system. Two years ago the school board sued the county commissioners to get enough (barely) money.
3. Our nation's lack of emphasis on or concern for the education of our children - sure, parents are willing to give time and money to their own child's school - at least in the middle to high income areas - but what about the education of this ENTIRE next generation?

Can you tell this hits a nerve with me? I am so glad my own children have already completed high school - this nation's committment to education has taken a serious downward turn and our children - and their children - are going to pay dearly.