Re: a fear/relinquishing electives

---------

From: Donald Arcement (arcement_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 27 2003 - 11:38:19 PDT

Re: a fear/relinquishing electivesMary Ann, as usual, you have stated our case so very well! There is so much more to the arts than what the average American citizen sees or knows. What ever happened to giving our children a well-rounded culture? My mother was well-educated and in the 50's, 60's and 70's it seemed to be the "right thing to do" when a parent exposed his/her children to the arts. How did we lose this appreciation? When did it die? What created it's death? Is it just politics, or is it our worship of the "Almighty Dollar"? I'd like to hear our artistic audiences view of these questions. What happened? Tell us all what you think has happened to our current society and then maybe we can work towards a solution as art instructors.

Thanks for reading,

Idus in southern Mississippi (about an hour from New Orleans)