Re: a fear + advocacy

---------

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 27 2003 - 11:26:57 PDT

Sharon - Great reflections!

Its so hard to change people's perceptions of art.
I'm always amazed by how willing people are to embrace
Gardner's Multiple Intelligence theories and in the
same breath, refer to artsy fartsy types...

Advocacy is such a complex issue - I'd love to put
your statement about mathmenticians on my
(yet undeveloped) art page, but I know I shouldn't be
on the defensive. At the same time, I have a poster of
over 100 art careers in my classroom - because I
certainly had no idea of all of the possibilities when
I grew up. Occasionally I have a student who pops off
about "what is I don't want to be an artist when I
grow up?" or "How are you going to say art is just as
important as math or history?"

If only there were 12 easy steps...

Dawn

--- Sharon Henneborn <heneborn@erols.com> wrote:
> those skills they would probably never be learned.
> If we based all > the subjects covered in school on
his assumption > then we would teach > math, for one
example, to produce mathematicians and > no one else
would > need math as a life skill.