Re: a fear (long) conspiracy theory

---------

From: Sharon Henneborn (heneborn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 26 2003 - 18:46:39 PDT

More on the conspiracy theory.
Only a few years ago I laughed at conspiracy theories. Not Now!

My state association's lobbyist gave a report at a recent
association's meeting and confirmed my fear. He outlined
confirmation that the current administration and other interested
parties have a plan to choke the public schools to open the way for
vouchers. I have been hearing this for years but I can see the plan
is starting to eat away at our public schools state by state. He said
that there is more money attached to the education of our children in
public schools than there is in the gasoline and automotive industry
combined. They have their eye on that money for privatization. The
plans are working. Public schools will be choked until they collapse.

He mentioned No Child Left Behind. Sounds so good on the surface.
1st there will be failed schools and the schools that do not fail.
The students who are in failing schools will eventually be able to
move themselves to the non failing schools and they will be required
to accept them. Required to build new buildings, hire more teachers
with little state and federal support. Add to that pressure + the
students who come in that need additional support to catch up and you
have the formula for another failing school. ETC. ETC. ETC.

You think, "How can the states adopt destructive policies like the
Florida one we have been discussing?" It make sense when you consider
the goal is to move the massive amount of money into the private
sector. Too many of the legislators who are not a part of the plan
seem to be asleep at the wheel.

I know this is not the kind of post you usually get from me but I am
so worried about this development and how successful it is becoming
that I finally decided to write about my fear.