Re: a fear/relinquishing electives

---------

From: MAK ~ MaryAnn Kohl (mak_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 26 2003 - 09:19:19 PDT

Relinquishing electives.
This scares me.
These highschool years are our last opportunity to offer "jewels" to a
student on the brink of adulthood...when they may or may not take the
opportunity to be exposed to these things again. Maybe that art class will
open a window to feelings or ideas for someone. The music class may calm a
worried heart or inspire a waning spirit. Okay, Okay, I know I'm idealistic.
But it's our responsibility to offer what we can. Life has many many years
after highschool for kids to get into the job market. This is our
chance....and THEIRS....for more. It's called "EDUCATION".

And how did the arts become "elective" anyway. Did you know in China the
school programs are divided into thirds... one third is physical education,
one third is academic education (science, math, history, language), and one
third is art education (music, dance, theater, visual arts, etc.) This
culture recognizes the importance of a balanced education and a feeding the
spirit of the student as well as the brain. I've always felt the USA was a
little unbalanced in how it looks at the arts, and at physical education,
for that matter. Physical education is not SPORTS and winning or losing, it
is LEARNING and training the body.

Well, enough soap box.

But skipping electives is like, hmmm, what is it like? Like a walk in the
woods without seeing the trees.

MaryAnn
educational consultant and art book author

=======================
   mak@brightring.com
    www.brightring.com

MaryAnn Kohl