a fear from Florida

---------

From: Amanda Linn (toasterart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 26 2003 - 07:58:57 PDT

Yes, this three years and out business smells
completely of attempts to save money. My parents
considered encouraging me to skip my senior year
because I was so miserable being in a small town...but
I participated in my senior year because of things
like band and art. I also took a class in consumer
education which I would not have taken otherwise- this
was a vocational class of course- let me tell you I
still use what I learned in that class everytime I buy
something. I was still miserable in a small town BUT I
could save some cash at the grocery store :) I think
students and their parents don't see the point of the
classes most of us teach because we haven't put the
effort into organizing high schools for teaching and
understanding like middle schools and elementary
schools have been. How cool would it be for a high
school to be divided into teams like a middle school?
Why can't we teach high school in "themes" meaning the
math and science and the humanities work together to
present ideas in a manner that allows students to make
CONNECTIONS in their learning?
Another source to look at is the study that was done
about a child's senior year. There is a commission
that has information, I can't recall the exact name.
There are so many meaningful things that can and
should happen in the year between high school and
college or the workforce...Does anyone have a
requirement in their schools that seniors must present
a porfolio demonstrating what they know and can do
combining skills and knowledge they learned in high
school? It is my understanding that many employers
look for people who can work in teams, apply knowledge
in innovative ways, etc.
I believe the arts teachers could lead the charge
here...maybe kids and parents don't think what we do
matters because we haven't demonstrated HOW it matters
(and why it is important to understand these
connections). Honestly,sometimes I think we do ask
kids to waste time doing things that don't matter
because we haven't continually filtered our teaching
practices to keep the most meaningful stuff and get
rid of the time wasters.
Bottom line...given the choice, would you buy a piece
of furniture that was made in a short period of time
using ONLY what you needed to make something to sit
on- or would you invest in something made from the
best materials that will last a lifetime.

Seems like the powers that be in Florida think going
the cheap and fast route is okay and they have sold
that idea to some of their citizens.

sorry to rant- I am afraid this country is going to
reap what we sow big time in the not too distant
future.
Amanda Linn

=====
"When you have the Pope and the Dixie Chicks against you, you can't be long for the White House"
                                   -Michael Moore