RE: a fear

---------

From: Lawrence A. Parker (occti_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 26 2003 - 07:18:36 PDT

Yes, Patti, but as I read the article, this program is not targeted for
the "high" or even "capable" achievers. The fear, which I think is well
founded, is that many students will take the option just to get out of
school early and into the job market rather than college. Even the one
FLA Univ. administrator said that they would take a closer look at some
of these students before entering them into their college.

Another fear is that fine arts teachers will start getting laid off, and
I fear many of these programs are like owning a piano. Most people
inherit them; some use them, some don't know what to do with them and
let them fall apart or sell them. Regardless, I've noticed that for
most people, once you get rid of the piano, it's not likely that you'll
buy another one.

I'm afraid that this may start a trend of wiping out the fine arts
programs in many schools and states; once done, we'll have hell to pay
to get them back.

Lawrence A. Parker

Philosopher and Educational Consultant