Re: 3D projects for 2nd & 3rd graders

---------

From: Jerry Vilenski (jvilensk_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 24 2003 - 19:11:35 PDT

I've invented quite a few projects over the years using paper mache for these grade
levels that the kids seem to enjoy. This year, for second grade, I used up scrap
fomecore by cutting them up into beak shapes for a paper mache tropical bird
project. Each kid forms a head, body and tail out of one piece of newsprint using
tape to hold it in place.. By pinching a slot into the TOP of the head, the
fomecore beak can be taped into, instead of onto the surface of the sculpture. I
have the kids paper mache the entire thing, including the beak, to make a
homogeneous piece of paper. Have the kids paint these with bright tropical acrylic
paints, beak one color, body the other. When finished, decorate with contrasting
real feathers for tail feathers and use slightly larger feathers for each wing.
Wiggle eyes complete the bird. These can be hung or placed on a pedestal if you have
time to build them. I also do a variation on this project by using fomecore to form
tails and dorsal fins for tropical fish, using the same basic techniques, but
omitting the feathers!

For third grade, I had them do a "mood face" cup. This is done by using large
toilet paper rolls that the janitors save for me. Begin by forming a cup by paper
macheing the bottom and sides with paper scrap strips dipped in glue, including the
inside of the cup. After dried, form a face with a different mood on each side by
dipping toilet tissue into the glue, mushing it into a clay-like consistency, then
applying the clay to form the face parts. The tissue dries hard as a rock. Paint
these with acrylics, and when dry, use fake fur to form hair around the rim of the
cup. These make great pencil holders or desk accessories.

---