Subject: Re: got my job back

---------

From: lia (johns392_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 24 2003 - 01:00:42 PDT

One thing that helped me with large classes of K and 1 was using 5th
graders to come help. They would have scheduled times...and it would be a
privilege. (Somehow their homeroom teachers worked it out so they could
make up whatever work they missed while in art.) It was pretty great for
some of my 5th graders too. They would be very helpful....and the ones who
came (often behavior problems in their own class) loved the kids. I find
parents ...especially of that age group......often want to be with their
kid and do it for them....rather than help the group....and let their kid
solve their own problems.

The other thing is to be really organized and to set things up so you can
teach the kids to manage the room as much as possible. I used to make a
game out of everything ......we would even just practice clean-up in
Kinder. They don't mind........and it worked out fine. I had a class and
a half in those days..... so it is a handful especially in the Fall. Good
luck to everyone with larger classes next year.............lia