RE: Mural tips needed

---------

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 22 2003 - 23:43:09 PDT

LeAnn-

Some people will probably choke to hear what I'm about
to relay -

In my first painting class we used flat white latex
wall paint instead of gesso (economics for painting 1
projects that many of us wouldn't keep - I actually
have to thank that professor for that...)

I have heard that these house paints can yellow over
time - however, my folks have one of these paintings
from 1988, and so far that hasn't happened. (It is
happening to Pollack's paintings though) I know it
hasn't happened to my work because I had to touch up
an area the other day and the color was holding fast.
It's may only be a $10 - 20 difference depending on
your gesso source.

(In my second class, I learned that gesso has a glue
in it that helps tighten the canvas. I pretty much
always use it on canvas, unless I'm doing something
where I want to have the canvas show through.)

I'm only mentioning it because if I were doing murals
each year or so, this is what I would do...

I think that they only drawback to using hosepaint is
that it would have a tendency to drip. I haven't
heard anyone complain about it on the list though.

Good luck - Dawn