RE: art research project ideas

---------

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 22 2003 - 23:08:22 PDT

--- Renee.Berg@k12.sd.us wrote:
> My 8th graders did a "Living Art" project.

I love these projects. Do either of you define the
roles and responsibilities for the group?

I had my students do online research and then they had
to do a 5 minute presentation (including a poster) -
after that the class worked in the manner of the
style.
(the principal indicated he wanted them to have the
experience of pointellism, etc)

I said the presentation could take any form -
newscast, song, poem, skit, commercial, etc. I only
got 2 groups who ventured out and made up rap songs (I
still can hear them and am really pleased, because I
know they'll remember them forever - I remember a song
a friend made up in 3rd grade)

I've been thinking I might get better results if I
gave them more clues on how to go about it. This is
not something I got, or needed, as a student - I also
ended up doing most of the work. I'm just beginning
to think about how to help plot some of the ideas out
and wondered if anyone who had done these types of
projects might have some pointers to share.

I think if I knew I would have the students multiple
years, I would be more inclined to specify what form
their presentation would take - like
commercial/storyboard for 6th grade, the costume idea
"living art" in 7th and maybe something like a Power
Point presentation for 8th... so that they keep
revisiting the periods, but learning additional
formats.

Love the ideas - Dawn