RE: art research project ideas

---------

Renee.Berg_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Jun 22 2003 - 17:33:25 PDT

Mike, My 8th graders did a "Living Art" project. There is a professional group in Laguna Beach, California that does this type of production. Sunday Morning did a feature on it. I wrote CBS and they sold the segment to me for $20. It was worth it. The students picked a painting, usually with people in it. They research the artist, interpret the painting and write a paper as a group of 2 to 5 students. They then recreate the painting in large format, they create the background with a variety of materials and then put themselves as the characters into the famous artwork by creating costumes. The students set up there background and props then pose for 5 minutes as a curtain is lifted to show them. One student is picked to narrate the history of the artists and explain why the artist created the work. We entered a contest at a museum for middle school and highschoolers. I have to brag, we won first, second and third place.The kids won $ and the school won $500. My favorite rendition was the Three Musicians by Pablo Picasso.
Another project I really liked for art history research was a bi-fold with a mirror on one side, the students painted a portrait of the artist on one side and it reflected in the mirror. Around the mirror was a 3" border and the students recreated bits and pieces of the artist into a collage painting. For example, one student picked patterns from a variety of Matisse's painting and used them. On the back of the bi-fold was a biography of the artist. I think I have examples on my 8th grade page.
Renee

Renee Berg
6th,7th Art and 8th grade Art Tech
Mitchell Public Schools