Re: art research project ideas

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 22 2003 - 08:14:00 PDT

Mike
Many students enjoy acting out something about an artist. Students
form small groups. Each group selects an artist from a list of names
supplied by the teacher. They research the artist and prepare a
short skit. After the skit they hand out review sheet for the class
or post a poster for the class to review. The skit can be like a
talk show interview or the artist in her studio explaining a painting
she did. The group can discuss a large reproduction or a projected
image based on a prepared script. The actor playing the artist
answers questions about her sources of ideas, composition,
difficulties, special interests, her own childhood, her training, and
so on.

I have not seen this done in eighth grade, but I have seen it work
well with older students.
Marvin Bartel
www.bartelart.com

>Hello,
>I would like to do an 8th grade art history research project next
>year. I'm looking for things that people on the list have tried and
>feel have been successful. I have 8th graders for only a quarter, so
>i would like it to be something they do on their own using library
>and internet sources. I would also like it to be weighted more on
>the writing side than the art production side, but I'm open to
>anything anyone will share.
>thanks,
>mike sacco
>p.j. Gelinas JHS