Artists Audio Clips

---------

From: Sara (sarawren_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jun 21 2003 - 23:59:16 PDT

I also found out if you click on
Further Links
Radio 3 John Tusa interview
( click above)
you can get the complete interview with the artist.

Student/s could work individually or as a team and do a report or do web map on the interview.

Part of interview:
 Bridget Riley

Broadcast: 5th January 2003

Interview with Bridget Riley

JT Is Bridget Riley an artist, asked an author some years ago, or is she rather a musician, a mathematician, or a scientist? Well I don't think we'd ask that question today. No-one questions her role as an artist, only perhaps discusses just how important she is. But the fact that the question could be asked is a reminder of the puzzlement that her work once caused. Those black and white hallucinations of visual movement, those images that shimmer, buckle, jitter, heave and twist - as one writer put it - were taken by some for sophisticated optical exercises, or by others as visual expressions of 1960s psychedelia - the sort of canvas that you got high just from looking at. But then, as now, Bridget Riley resisted categorisation, avoided fashionable adoption by the lifestyle of the time, and she has continued an austere, disciplined path of exploration and expression. Superficially her work hasn't changed much. The black and white period of intense visual agitation from 1961-4, then the introduction of greys, with a touch of blue and red. Then in 1967 the launch into colour, often in straight lined forms, and finally the resolution of colour with movement - sensuous, flowing, graceful. And these landmark changes conceal and contain profound changes in her paintings. Bridget Riley has, in the view of another writer, an incessant appetite for renewal. She was the first Briton to win the Venice Biennale painting prize in 1968, and a large show opens in London later this year, in June. She's that rare being, an artist who has kept her reputation

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/audiointerviews/profilepages/rileyb1.shtml

Sara

---