teaching watercolors

---------

From: KPRS (KPRS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jun 21 2003 - 09:13:06 PDT

I show 9 different techniques

wet on wet
dry brush
stencil
block out with rubber cement
block out with masking tape
kosher salt
gradation
mixed media (colored pencil, pen and ink, watercolor markers)

and then give each kid a piece of paper which they fold into 8ths and they do a sample of each technique.

Then the specific assignment given (each year it changes), they must use all 8 techniques in the watercolor. If the class is in the fall, they are given a leaf, and they must render the leaf using all the techniques. The composition with the leaf (or leaves) is one leaf falling from top to bottom in 4-7 steps. They then create haiku about fall, and caligraphy they haiku in the composition. The rubric checks for creative use of technique, and the writing rubric emphasizes haiku structure. Another assignment is I buy the watercolor block postcards (Sax), and give each kid a postcard, and they must create a postcard in watercolor with all 8 techniques evident. The postcard must represent the town we are in, and then I send them to their parents during the summer. If they choose to work from photographs for the postcard, it must be from a photo they have taken. Since are town is literally a stop on the Garden State Parkway (exit 135--that's how New Jersey folks mark themselves), there are some very iconic buildings in town...you know McDonald's, Exxon, Target, etc. They make for interesting watercolor postcards.

San D

---