Re: teaching watercolor ...period

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jun 21 2003 - 08:50:44 PDT

Don't know if it would help or not...but since I begin teaching the basics
of watercolor at even the lowest of elementary art kids, thought I'd share
this WIP (work in progress) I did for the Wetcanvas.com artist's community.

I did it on my classroom desk in front of my emac with my Cotman Field Kit
and a bit of frisket. I provided a tiny url to that demonstration since the
Wetcanvas urls tend to get a bit long- http://tinyurl.com/ewju

for my kids...I tape some freezer wrap paper shiny side up on their table
tops...and then use temper paint mixed from powers and then stored in
Rubbermain ketchup type bottles. I squeeze out a small amount (nickel size)
of each primary color at the top of their freezer wrap..and using a
watercolor brush and water draw from those colors down onto the paper to mix
color. Works like a charm, and using tempera this way, the color responds
precisely like watercolors but nowhere near the cost comparison of
watercolor sets and cakes.

My kids right up into highschool use the freezer wrap when we do watercolor
stuff. I don't introduce the possibilities of frisket until about junior
high.

Larry Seiler
http://www.artlandishconcepts.org

---