Huichol Art - some links to art and info

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 20 2003 - 18:46:53 PDT

I will eventually add some Huichol links to my page on art of Mexico. I was
looking for non-commercial sites - but those are hard to find. I have listed
a few commercial sites that have nice images and background information. If
anyone finds a university site or museum site with information and images -
please post. There are many commercials sites out there. Thought I would
post these in case anyone else was interested. It will be a while before I
put them on my site.

Huichol Art Center
http://huichol-art.com/
http://huichol-art.com/annex/artist.htm
Beadwork, yarn painting, mask

Yarn Painting -over fifty images of yarn paintings (some pretty small) -
from Cal State Bernardino
http://www.math.csusb.edu/faculty/jstein/huichol/1.html
has explanation for each work. Great exhibit.
Same works - presented in frames
http://www.math.csusb.edu/faculty/jstein/newhuichol/art1.html

Huichol Art and symbolism:
http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/huichol/abt_huit.htm
Yarn Painting images of a vanishing culture:
http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/huichol/huicholart.html
More links to people and culture:
http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/huichol/huicholindex.html

Huichol Yarn painting - commercial site - but has quality images and
historical background
http://huicholart.homestead.com/

Bead Museum - Huichol Web of Life: Creation and Prayer:
http://www.thebeadmuseum.com/Huichol/huichol1.htm Unit plan

Huichol Culture - two very nice images:
http://www.spring.net/wmmeyers/huichol.html

Brief outline:
http://daphne.palomar.edu/ddozier/course_notes/Mexico/huichol.htm

Commercail site - has lots of examples of Huichol art - and background
information
http://www.tribesgallery.com/huichol.html

Huichol Art - has some background informatin and many images of yarn
paintings:
http://www.latinamericanfolkart.com/

Some information - Huichol Indians and Shamanism
http://www.shamanism.com/huichol.html
More on Huichol beliefs:
http://www.theoctobergallery.com/huichol-brochure.htm

Information on the Huichol - with photographs of the people.
http://www.peyotepeople.com/index.htm

Map showing location of Huichol:
http://www.union.edu/PUBLIC/ANTDEPT/43f02/huicholmap.htm

Lots of links - I didn't check all of these:
http://indian-cultures.com/Cultures/huichol.html

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department