RE: art camp

---------

From: Betty Bowen (albertbandura_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 20 2003 - 17:34:54 PDT

I just finished a week of art camp, I get new kids Monday. Here is what worked for me -

Our director keeps both a paper marbling station and a paper making station going, which helps a lot. She also keeps all the supplies organized on the school stage (we meet in the cafeteria).

The longest project - For the second year we made large paper mache sunflowers (Van Gogh). (We did all the Mache the first day so it would have time to dry in case it rained, both sunflowers and masks). We mached balloons for the centers, and covered both sides of Molly Hawkins watercolor paper with warm colors. We also paper marbled warm colors on some sulfite paper.

We marbled cool colors on sulfite paper. The next day we cut out the petals, cut a slit in the base of each petal, folded it partly in half, and bent the "knees" back so it would "stand up" on the balloon. We used good masking tape and taped on all our petals.

We cut out our leaves and "sewed" their stems on - lwith ong green pipe cleaners that were taped to the big stems. (The helpers had rolled sturdy newspaper stems and masking taped them). They cut the end of the rolled newspaper so it could be spread out taped to the balloon securely. The kids did this with partners. When it was all finished we painted the brown and green. The newspaper took pictures, the kids looked so great all holding their huge sturdy flowers.

shorter project - We did plaster-gauze on the backs of large seashells (with vaseline first!) and when they were pried off we painted the insides gold and the outsides whatever. The helpers drilled holes in them with X-acto knives and we strung them on metallic yarn with beads. They loved that.

With construction paper and crayons each kid made almost life-size self-portrait paper dolls. We used brass paper fasteners to joint all the moving parts. We taped them all the wall. They were awesome and the kids really dove into it - not a long project.

We drew on watercolor paper - shapes and lines - and the the elmers glue outlines and black yarn, oil pastel and baby oil routine. They looked great.

Next week we are making scrapbooks with small paper lunchbags, and Japanese fish kites.

Betty