RE: K teachers/science and animals

---------

From: Jeanne Voltura (jvoltura_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 20 2003 - 14:32:06 PDT

Hi,

You could tell him about growing crystals with borax soap, water, and a
little blue food coloring... the following is the recipe (we used pipe
cleaners to make a snowflake shape and then put it inside the mixture and it
formed a crystal layer on the outside of the snowflake...not very summer
oriented, but very cool to watch) :

Add one teaspoon of borax to 4 ounces of very hot water.
Stir until borax is completely dissolved. When this solutions cools to room
temperature little borax crystals will grow.

Reference:
Crystals - A Handbook For School Teachers by Elizabeth A. Wood 1972. Written
for the Commission on Crystallographic Teaching of the International Union
of Crystallography.

To obtain a copy of this book contact the Polycrystal Book Service
(Telephone & Fax: (513) 223-9070).

this is from :http://www.hamptonresearch.com/stuff/GIC101.html

more info at: http://www.teachnet.com/lesson/science/crystals040999.html

or:
http://powayusd.sdcoe.k12.ca.us/teachers/kvalentine/LABS/GROWING%20CRYSTALS.
htm

Also, making tie die from kool aid...its very cool and smells great
too...its not really super science oriented...I can send a hand-out on that
if you want...it is really related to alchemy...which is about putting
together different materilas to get something else...you could also look for
the recipe to make ice cream in a bag...this is also about mixing
ingredients to come up with something edible...which kids always like...I am
not sure if there is anything out on the internet on "oobleck" but we make
it here at the museum...not sure where that hand out is right now or I would
send you our recipe...if you want it I can try to find it...hope these ideas
help

Jeanne