Re: K teachers/leaf art

---------

From: MAK ~ MaryAnn Kohl (mak_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 20 2003 - 08:46:14 PDT

6/19/03 9:18 PM~ Jhirunrtx@aol.com~Jhirunrtx@aol.com~You can make a leaf
print using a fresh, green leaf. Put leaf on a sturdy wood board, lay white
material (like bleached muslim) over leaf hit and with a hammer. The
chlorophyl makes the print. Used to do this with four year olds. They love
banging the hammer.

Leaf Prints: Check my Science Arts link on my webpage for "activities"> I
always have some leaf ideas.
http://www.brightring.com

Another project with leaves younger kids like is a variation on a stencil:
Leaf Bursts:
find a huge supple leaf...big as possible...and hold it flat on a big sheet
of paper with one hand (the non-drawing hand). With the other hand (or a
paintbrush), brush/wipe paint from the edges of the leaf out onto the paper
in a starburst type pattern (or whatever the child does is fine). Then
remove the leaf, and you have a bright, vibrant, bold leaf pattern (with
some kid-style wiggles and spills).

Stencil Peels
I also like to have the kids peel and press contact paper shapes to drawing
paper. They can be leaf shapes, or any shapes. Then paint all over the
paper...over the shapes...filling the paper with designs and color in any
way the child chooses. When done, peel off the contact paper shapes. They
peel easily and do not tear the paper. Great Stencils! (You can also do this
on fabric.)

MaryAnn F. Kohl
Bright Ring Publishing, Inc.
PO Box 31338