RE: James Joyce

---------

From: Lawrence A. Parker (occti_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 20 2003 - 06:55:26 PDT

Good connection, Marian!

I think that the creator's intentions should be considered in a
definition of "what is art?" It shows us that we have several possible
combinations to consider:

An artist intentionally creates a piece of art, and others perceive it
as a work of art.
An artist intentionally creates a piece of art, and others do not
perceive it as a work of art.
An artist does not intentionally create a piece of art, and others do
perceive it as a work of art. (can art be accidental?)
An artist does not intentionally create a piece of art, and others do
not perceive it as a work of art. (this is the category I fit into!)

Lawrence A. Parker
Philosopher and Educational Consultant

Ah, there's the rub, and if you do decide to show it, certainly you'll
re-examine it, possibly modify it, but most definitely you'll be asking
yourself, "Do I want others to see this, and WHY?"

---