Re: artsednet digest: June 19, 2003

---------

From: Kevan Nitzberg (knitzber_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 20 2003 - 05:30:45 PDT

on 6/20/03 2:00 AM, ArtsEdNet Talk digest at artsednet@lists.pub.getty.edu
wrote:

> Subject: RE: Mural tips needed
> From: "LeAnn Escoffre" <lescoffre@chartermi.net>
> Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 17:44:13 -0400
>
> Thanks Sid,
> I have decided to use the masonite but what should I use to prime it with?
> Gesso? I can get a gallon of it for around $30. Also do you suggest
> housepaints then? Someone else on the list suggested using that too. My
> principle said he would spring for supplies beyond my budget so I was
> thinking acrylics, but housepaint sounds good too. I do want to be as cost
> efficient as possible. i just had big problems last year with kids getting
> paint on their clothes and parents getting upset. And they were 7th and 8th
> graders. one other quick question how did you hang it? The mural is going
> onto our concrete walls. I am so excited about next year and this project.
> there are just so many possiblities. Thanks again.
> LeAnn
Hi LeAnn,

Gesso will yield the best results in terms of the quality of the paint's
color. Other, cheaper primers will work, but the color quality may suffer
somewhat.

Also, if you are going to go the house paint route, I would suggest using an
exterior high gloss latex. The final finish is easier to keep clean and
graffiti free, and in my experience, looks brighter and more appealing than
the semi-gloss / luster interior latex paint. Keep lots of covered plastic
containers around for the color mixes that you come up with in the process.

The other good thing about using latex as opposed to an oil base is that
clean up is much easier.

Kevan

---