Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: teaching watercolor to middle school

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 19 2003 - 22:14:49 PDT

I was just curious -- so did a quick search. Here is a very easy to follow guide from Stanford:

with some links at the bottom:
Has links to watercolor topics

Wow! Lots of links to tutorials

For Windsor Newton - go to Creative Encyclopedia (the link from tutorial page above doesn't work):

There are lots of other links to drawing - oil painting and more
Too bad their Art History isn't complete:

Might be some helpful tips here:

See watercolor lessons and watercolor terms:

Painting lessons:
More links:

more online tutorials:

Lots of lessons come up if you enter a search for watercolor lesson plan.

My most successful lesson was a torn paper landscape (done with sixth grade). Students tried all sorts of experimental techniques on 6" x12" watercolor paper (I demonstrated each technique I wanted them to try - gave them choices - they didn't all do all of the techniques). Everyone painted three to start with - then painted more as needed. These were torn to make "impressionistic" landscapes (glued to 12" square) - color was important to show mood. We went back into them with ultra fine point markers trying different drawing techniques. We use Vincent Van Gogh and Claude Monet for inspiration. We did not stretch the paper.

Have fun experimenting this summer.