Re: teaching watercolor to middle school

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 19 2003 - 22:14:49 PDT

I was just curious -- so did a quick search. Here is a very easy to follow guide from Stanford:
http://www.sanford-artedventures.com/teach/wtrclrlandscapes_intro.html
http://www.sanford-artedventures.com/teach/wtrclrtechniques_lesson.html

with some links at the bottom:
Has links to watercolor topics
http://www.fountainstudio.com/watercolor_tips.html

Wow! Lots of links to tutorials
http://www.huntfor.com/design/tutorials/watercolor.htm

For Windsor Newton - go to Creative Encyclopedia (the link from tutorial page above doesn't work):
http://www.winsornewton.com/index2.php

There are lots of other links to drawing - oil painting and more
http://www.huntfor.com/design/tutorials.htm
Too bad their Art History isn't complete:
http://www.huntfor.com/arthistory/index.htm

Might be some helpful tips here:
http://www.watercolor-online.com/Articles/Articles.html

See watercolor lessons and watercolor terms:
http://home.fiam.net/santora/lessons.htm

Painting lessons:
http://www.johnlovett.com/class.htm
More links:
http://www.knowledgehound.com/topics/painting.htm

more online tutorials:
http://www.donington.com/watercolour/studio.htm

Lots of lessons come up if you enter a search for watercolor lesson plan.

My most successful lesson was a torn paper landscape (done with sixth grade). Students tried all sorts of experimental techniques on 6" x12" watercolor paper (I demonstrated each technique I wanted them to try - gave them choices - they didn't all do all of the techniques). Everyone painted three to start with - then painted more as needed. These were torn to make "impressionistic" landscapes (glued to 12" square) - color was important to show mood. We went back into them with ultra fine point markers trying different drawing techniques. We use Vincent Van Gogh and Claude Monet for inspiration. We did not stretch the paper.

Have fun experimenting this summer.

Judy