Re: Mural tips needed

---------

From: Jancy & Mike Cossin (jmcossin_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 19 2003 - 15:51:46 PDT

My students finished a 4' X 8' mural on masonite this year. We primed with gesso. It didn't take as much as I thought. We mixed acrylics with house paint and even added details with permanent sharpies. If you do that, pre-test the permanent markers. Sharpies worked great, but one student somehow used another brand and when the polyurathene went on that marker area smeared. I just about croaked. Thank goodness for those stupid sharpie markers. One thing that worked great was using styrofoam trays from the cafeteria to mix on. The kids (middle school age) pitched in and walked around with a box on certain days. For instance, on the days they served cheese sticks the trays are thrown away completely clean as the sticks are served in a plastic dish atop them. They decorated the boxes to say "Recycle for Art" and then we had something disposable to use, which was great when short on time. Or just stick saran wrap on them for the following day. As we worked on it during class time, I had
 students work in teams while the rest of the class worked on another lesson. I kept a list of the students and marked them off as they rotated. This made it easy for me to make sure everyone worked and I could place students with different strengths together in teams that would work well for them.
We planned on just drilling holes in the corner and screwing them right into the wall. The one for this year is going to be 8' X 16'. Let us know how your planning works out!
Jancy