Re: art research project ideas

---------

From: Karen Chilman (ChilArt_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 19 2003 - 10:37:06 PDT

I have 8th graders for 6 weeks. They do two research based projects. One is a group architecture project in which they must find information on a chosen building/architect before building a facade of that structure.
The other is their 6 weeks project that I introduce the first week and the project is due the last week. They can work on it on those "in-between" times and one day a week that I decide. It is an art history furniture project. They bring in small furniture pieces (I have some scavenged from yard sales for those that don't have) and they research a time period or artist. They create that furniture in that style. Some change the actual shape of the furniture...most just paint. HOWEVER, they must turn in their research paper with pictures and drawn ideas...before beginning the production part. The kids LOVE this and parents do too. I have had some phenomenal furniture. Kids BEG to work on furniture. Oh yeah, when completed. They present their work to the class explaining their art style/artist. They do the teaching!