Re: art research project ideas

---------

From: Nancy Hegg (nhegg_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 19 2003 - 07:26:06 PDT

Last year my high schoolers painted chinese takeout
containers with images from a famous artist's work. They
started with research on the artist's style and did a
short paper including interesting facts, timeline and
tried to answer the question "Why is this artist famous".

  I had several takeout containers that I had flattened as
patterns and they traced and cut one out of tag and scored
the fold lines. (an idea I found from one of you in the
archives, thanks!) They kept them flat while drawing
lightly in pencil and painting with acrylics, then folded
into a box and hot glued the folded ends.

Each student did a short presentation (focused on their
artists use of design elements and principles) to the
class. Itincluded putting their box on a timeline showing
when their artist worked in relation to the others being
presented. We displayed the boxes with chop sticks and
fortune cookies (another idea from the archives, thanks)

It seemed like a very successful project but kids who
normally take all their artwork home left their boxes??

Hope this helps, Nancy

--
Scanned by Sophos Anti-Virus Mail Monitor
---