RE: James Joyce

---------

From: Jeanne Voltura (jvoltura_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 18 2003 - 14:08:39 PDT

I had a professor in undergrad school that used to say that when she was in
school, she made a body of art for herself...and a body of art for her
professors...I think that art can always be partially for yourself
though...when I was in school I always found a way to make one body of work
for both parties together...I think what you create as an artist can satisfy
your need to make something while also communicating what you strongly
desire to create or communicate to other people...If I am making art for an
audience...which I always see it as though I am, I am also always making it
for myself...if I cannot celebrate the process of making it, or learn from
it, or laugh at it, then I cannot really follow through or make it...I am
not sure exactly why someone would want to make something only for
themselves...I mean, I think the desire of most artists is to be liked for
their work...or at least noticed for it...what is the purpose of making it
just for yourself? unless, its for healing pursoses...but even then, I think
there is value in showing it to the world and seeing how it can influence
the world or share it with people that either need to see it to open their
minds to other realities...or to people that need to know there are others
with similar thoughts and issues...I am sure there are many other ways of
seeing this...but if someone takes an art class...and they tell me that they
are not going to be making their images for an audience...I tend to have a
problem thinking about it like that...I think this becomes an excuse not to
have to work towards a certain formal clarity in their work...its the easy
way out...and, it creates problems to think of art that way in an academic
setting...or maybe it puts out the following ideas: "why have art classes if
you are not going to learn how to better visually communicate...why make it
to be stored your closet, never to be seen, what is the value in that?...if
you want to make art for yourself, then you don't have to worry about how
well it is perceived I guess...therefore no reason to learn from others"...I
think this is a problem...so, thats why its important that a strong
philosophy of making art has to be a combination of both...for yourself and
for an audience...when it comes to making art for yourself only, I tend to
think of Emily Dickenson...who locked herself up in her house and wrote only
for herself...and died alone...now we read her poetry and see such a lonely
soul and we can learn from her writing and her life in retrospect...why hold
back your work like that when you can influence someone as you are living
and learn at you live from others that interact with your work?