Re: how to price artwork

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 18 2003 - 08:23:04 PDT

Judie wrote:

> Congratulations!!! Points to consider in pricing that I use--cost of
> materials, any overhead expenses (rent, insurance, etc.) my time and market
> prices for similar work. Obviously, each of these vary, but you don't want
> to overprice yourself and you definitely don't want to undervalue your work.

I think it was in the Artist's Magazine there was a recommendation to
price one's work by the square inch, taking into account the above
factors. Establish the base costs of your time, materials, and other
overhead for a representative work(s), then figure out how much each
square inch cost. That way, you don't have to refigure all those costs
every time you complete a work.

Maggie

---