RE: James Joyce

---------

From: Lawrence A. Parker (occti_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 18 2003 - 06:46:08 PDT

I look forward to hearing about the fruits of your reading, J.

As regards the "relinquishing of blame" for the public's interpretations
or reactions to an artist's work. I'm sure Stravinsky would agree as
his first performance of "Le Sacre du Printemps" (on a piano yet!)
literally caused a riot in the theater; I'm sure this wasn't his message
nor intent.

But, except perhaps for joseph, artists create to communicate something,
whether or not they are clear on what exactly the message is (a lot of
graffiti, I think, falls under this category), and I think that they are
responsible for the message they are trying to communicate. Along with
this "communication" must come an intent to evoke something in the
audience. If it is my intent to produce anger, sorrow, love, joy AND I
accomplish this, then I think that I am in some part responsible for
producing the reaction which was my intent.

Lawrence A. Parker

Philosopher and Educational Consultant