Re: More from Maggie-was: An Explanation for lack of Iroquois mask images

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 17 2003 - 16:49:48 PDT

Sharon Henneborn wrote:

> <snip> I would rather see the bamboo brushes and water color paints
> come out, teach them a few basic strokes and try for themselves what
> they can produce with that technique. The goal is to experience
> Japanese art not to produce Japanese art. How will the students
> become confident with their own style if they experience this kind of
> copying?
>
> I have done a lesson on looking at many examples of Matisse's figures
> and then try some of his techniques in a portrait drawn from a live
> model.

As usual, Sharon and I are on the same wavelength. And what Wendy said
is the thesis of that article in my head--putting the "multi" back into
multicultural studies.

> its weird how multi - meaning lots, right?, culturalism often turns out more like
> fixation on some tiny part of one culture. to me it makes a lot more sense to explore with students, for example, how many
> different cultures have represented a human figure in sculptural form as inspiration for a "doll" making project. just looking at
> ashanti fertility dolls alone isn't any better than just looking at barbie alone.

I always liked showing how a variety of disparate, unrelated cultures
produce similar items with forms, colors, symbols unique to their
cultures.

What Leann said

> In the video The Last Story Quilt with Faith Ringgold, she talks quite a bit about copying
> artists work....to LEARN!!! Many artists talk about their experiences in art school and
> copying from master artists to LEARN!

is certainly true throughout art history, but those artists who
diligently copied master works were studying technique, not the
culture. We do our students a disservice "teaching" them about Hopi
culture through the infamous toilet-paper-tube katsina project; WHAT are
they learning about Hopi culture from this assignment? Katsinas are
carved from cottonwood root, not assembled from different materials.

Maggie

---