copying and multiculturalism

---------

From: wendy free (wendypaigefree_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 17 2003 - 09:19:44 PDT

making t-paper roll katsinas as an art project is akin to creating used chewing gum rosary beads (uh-oh, that'll probably be in the whitney biennial next year now :D ), i agree. its weird how multi - meaning lots, right?, culturalism often turns out more like fixation on some tiny part of one culture. to me it makes a lot more sense to explore with students, for example, how many different cultures have represented a human figure in sculptural form as inspiration for a "doll" making project. just looking at ashanti fertility dolls alone isn't any better than just looking at barbie alone. playing the devil's advocate, though, it has been considered ok for a long time, and not just in the western euro tradition, to copy other artists work to learn a certain technique, right? so where does this fit in?

http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/resources/Artworlds/Using/consider.html a great guide on using art from other artworlds (yay, getty)

anybody see google today - they're commemorating escher's b-day!

:) wendy (so glad its summer and there's time to talk!)